Olive thinks....
Asa: "Tomorrow. It's always coming, but it's never tomorrow."
Olive: "Oh. I thought it was tractors. They're really slow."
_______________________
Took Olive to ballet this morning and had some good one-on-one time, which with Olive means discussing consciousness, souls, and mortality. Because what four year old isn't fascinated by and constantly asking questions regarding metaphysics?
_______________________
After inspecting the bags of groceries Jeff brought in, Addison says, "Daddy, how did you survive before Mommy?"
Jeff says, "I lived with a guy named Mark."
_______________________
In the car tonight, Olive was explaining that she can say words that are not nouns... but the sound in the air of them coming out of her mouth is always a noun.
_______________________
I'm teaching about timelines, explaining past, present, and future to the girls. We added things to our simple timeline. I asked, "What are something that happened in YOUR past?"
Olive: "When I didn't have eyes yet when I was in your tummy."
In a while, I got to "future". "What are some things that could happen in the future?"
Olive: "We will run out of food and there won't be any stores any more."
______________________
Asa found a good swingin' vine. He says (looking at his watch): " I'm gonna see how long it takes before I hurt myself."
______________________
Olive: "You know what Daddy would think was awesome? A waterproof guitar. We should get him one."
_______________________
Ivey wore her SuperGirl costume again today. When were out running errands, and a woman was very impressed by her. She bent down and told her how amazing she was, how much she liked her outfit, and asked what her secret identity was. Ivey pulled down her top to reveal that, underneath her SuperGirl costume she was actually a ballerina.
_______________________
In the past 10 minutes, Ivey has used the phrases, "Thank you for your understanding," "I'm glad you could make it" (to me as I entered the dining room), and informed me that "I think God is making us talk like puppets."
What the heck?
______________________
Ivey: "Olive, you can be the person."
Olive: "But I want to be a hamster."
Ivey: "Then you can be two things. You're a person-hamster."
_______________________
Olive is like teaching Addison all over again... with added stubbornness and stronger opinions.
Today's lesson/battle: Come up with either a subtraction or an addition equation for each story.
Example: "There are 8 crayons all together. 3 are on the table. How many are in the box?"
Me: "Ok, Olive! How would you do this problem? Would you add? Would you subtract? Let's write it out!"
Olive (frowning): It's 5.
Me: "Good... Can you tell me how you know that? What did you do in your head to know how many are in the box?"
Olive: "Nothing. It's just 5 cause I know it's 5."
(slumps in chair and frowns)
... and so on...





No comments:
Post a Comment